NCIS season 12 spoilers: Ellie Bishop’s husband, Ziva David return

NCIS wrapped up its eleventh season without a major cliffhanger heading into Season 12, as Agent Gibbs buried his deceased father and the long running Parsa storyline received another degree of closure. But there are a number of loose ends still remaining in the NCIS universe heading into the fall, and while we’re not working with inside information, some of them are clear cut enough to count as potential spoilers – be warned. Among other plot lines, the husband of new agent Ellie Bishop is waiting in the wings, and her predecessor Ziva David might be as well.

The writers of NCIS turned the tables on Tony DiNozzo by introducing Ellie Bishop as an attractive new female agent who just happens to be married and is therefore disqualified from being one of his potential pursuits, making for a different dynamic than the one which Tony had with Kate Todd or Ziva David. But while Ellie’s husband has been mentioned several times in passing during Season 11, he has yet to make an on screen appearance or even so much as become an off screen plot device. That should change in Season 12 as the newness of Bishop’s character wears off and the show delves further into her backstory.

The show has smartly not had Mr. Bishop show his face yet, ensuring that once they do decide to advance him into the storyline, they can choose an actor who’s available for multiple episodes at the time. The fact that the writers have gone out of their way to keep from assigning an actor to his character this season suggests that they’re planning to use him in Season 12 in a more carefully crafted manner. But speaking of Ziva…

When Cote de Pablo decided to leave NCIS, the writers gave her character Ziva David the kind of exit which appeared to set her and Tony up for an eventual relationship once the show is ready to wind down. That would require a simple one-episode cameo from De Pablo. But with NCIS still enjoying strong ratings heading into Season 12 and the show unlikely to conclude its run any time soon, it could be several years before Tony and Ziva ultimately get together for good. In the mean time, will the show try convince De Pablo to come back for an interim cameo in the fall? Or would it be too soon and detract from the audience’s acceptance of Ellie Bishop? Stay tuned.

7 Comments

1. talimom on May 23, 2014 at 9:16 am

My interest in NCIS has waned with the absence of both Ziva and the magic sparks that flew between her and DiNozzo. With (as Abby would say)Ziva apperaing to be “universally absent” I will take a break from what was once my fav show and fav OTP. The characters just seem off and does the chemistry and writing since NCIS turned into a Ziva free zone.

No interest in Bishop, neither my husband nor I can even stand watching her, so certainly no interest in her hubby. Yawn. When an update tells me anything Ziva or Ziva Tony will be occurring, I shall gladly return. In the meantime I can still watch the NCIS and character relationships I enjoy (which does NOT include Bishop) on USA.

• Jm carpetman on July 21, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I agree, the show is not the same .How could anyone even consider Bishop in the role? She is a washout. After having such terrific, beautiful and talented actresses as Sasha Alexander and Cote De Pablo, she is a dud. The previous stars were integral to the show in their own unique way. They added the extra spark as they related to the rest of the cast members . They truly were essential and are greatly missed.
      NCIS was our never miss show every week,we rarely watch if Bishop is featured. We refer to her as the one with the black caterpillars on her forehead. What’s with those eyebrows anyway?. She just can’t carry the role. We don’t find her endearing, attractive, sexy or accomplished as an actress. She needs to go back and hone her skills and acting range then try again in a few years. Casting really blew It by filling the role with Bishop. One character can make or break a show.
      Bring back Ziva or someone of the same caliber as Ziva and Kate.
      We will stick with the re-runs on cable, we admire the show and the rest of the cast We may just check in occasionally on the new season to see if you’ve got the message.
      Former NCIS devotees

• carolina on August 7, 2014 at 10:11 am

Ziva NCIS is sorely lacking, not only by the chemistry he had with Tony but by qa cutout character had, never will replace, I do not qo last episode was enlightening, it was much unsaid and see without Ziva in NCIS lost Total interests in seeing, there have begun to see all the seasons again, Ziva David od between, do not dislike the new character, but it lacks something, and to be honest will always be missing, Ziva has returned. ‘m Portuguese and accompany the series hope q in September when the new season premiere fiat to be there. only saw the season 11th to ap º episode, I could not see more, makes me want to vhorara when I see scenes from tony and ziva and know that she probably will not return, remember the tony have told q would change together and in these latest episodes McGee has said that he has changed, I do not know, but I think it fits, and repeat. Ziva is back, n I’m so so think lots of people think this would be lost the interest of many people, I just want qa ziva back, and back will not be a disappointment gande. course I realize that she did not want to go back though not learn the razãoes but eight years not lie well off, if you see that Ziva thinks seriously about going back, please, we need you .quero que voltes sim quero mas só quando te sentires bem , mas pensa seriamente em voltar , fazes tanta falta , volta .

• carolina on August 7, 2014 at 10:12 am

Ziva NCIS is sorely lacking, not only by the chemistry he had with Tony but by qa cutout character had, never will replace, I do not qo last episode was enlightening, it was much unsaid and see without Ziva in NCIS lost Total interests in seeing, there have begun to see all the seasons again, Ziva David od between, do not dislike the new character, but it lacks something, and to be honest will always be missing, Ziva has returned. ‘m Portuguese and accompany the series hope q in September when the new season premiere fiat to be there. only saw the season 11th to ap º episode, I could not see more, makes me want to vhorara when I see scenes from tony and ziva and know that she probably will not return, remember the tony have told q would change together and in these latest episodes McGee has said that he has changed, I do not know, but I think it fits, and repeat. Ziva is back, n I’m so so think lots of people think this would be lost the interest of many people, I just want qa ziva back, and back will not be a disappointment gande. course I realize that she did not want to go back though not learn the razãoes but eight years not lie well off, if you see that Ziva thinks seriously about going back, please, we need you . I want you to come back yes but only when you want to feel good, but seriously think back, do so lacking, back.

2. Marysue on May 23, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Season 12 will be interesting on many fronts. I do hope that they develop Bishop’s character more. I also hope that Cote will at least make a cameo appearance. It would be interesting to see what type of interaction Ziva and Bishop would have. Gibb’s mystery ex will be interesting too. If Cote makes a cameo but is not wanting to make a full return to NCIS they could then work a long distance connection for her and Dinozzo that has been suggested before after the cameo appearance. I think if the two characters were to reconnect Ziva would be pleasantly surprised in how Tony has grown up. Looking forward to Season 12

3. Manda on May 25, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Please bring Ziva back the show has not been the same without her. Every since she has left I have stop watching the show! BRING BACK ZIVA!!!

4. Barbara Clark on June 16, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Why the comments about Gibbs mystery ex wife No 2. We have met ex wife No 2 before she was also married to Tobias Fornel after she divorced Gibbs, and has appeared in many episodes already.