Person of Interest renewed for Season 4: the Root of the problem

Person of Interest has been renewed for season four, and viewers of the show are left wondering just what the show will look like after its near apocalyptic season three finale. None of the protagonists died, but the show’s original format now appears to completely wiped from existence. Remember when this show was about helping people, by preventing murders predicted by a machine? That premise is long gone. Now it’s a show about dueling machines, with the main characters perpetually on the run. They serve no purpose beyond trying to prolong their own survival, and for some reason, the machine talks directly to one of the characters – in fact, that part seems to be the “Root” of the problem.

Series creator Jonathan Nolan tried to turn Person of Interest into something more cinematic in its third season, killing off popular main character Joss Carter and bringing in new protagonists as the show shifted toward its new premise of machine vs machine. Some fans revolted, not only due to the death of Carter, but also due to dislike of the new characters. Shaw is little more than a female clone of Reese, and has served no purpose other than to reduce Reese’s screen time and relevance. Root might be the most annoying character ever created for television – and that was before she became the de facto voice for the machine.

Even as some viewers continue to bide their time waiting for Root to be killed off, her character has instead become more integral to Person of Interest as the season has gone on. Her extended closing voiceover in the season three finale seemed to position her as the central figure in the series, with original characters like Finch and Reese relegated to mere pawn status. And that’s before getting to the controversy over the fact that Jonathan Nolan has cast his own uncle, actor John Nolan, as the new primary villain in a megalomaniacal role whose value to the show has yet to be established.

Heading into season four, is Person of Interest better or worse now than it was back when its original premise and characters were still intact? That’s for individual fans to decide. But it’s safe to say that the current show has little if any connection to what it once was, and there’s every reason to believe that it’ll become even more unrecognizable in its fourth season.

10 Comments

1. Poohbaa on May 14, 2014 at 3:39 pm

I have been a fan for 3 seasons and after season 3 finale, I have just become a use to be fan. That was the worse season finale better yet season 3 has been on my cancellation list ever since they started changing things and bought Root in and now this new guy who will be handling the machine. It now sounds like Person of Interest will meet its demise. I loved this show and will miss it dearly… goodbye!

2. JoshuaLong on May 14, 2014 at 4:39 pm

@Poohbaa lol…?!?!

3. milabulic on May 14, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Honestly, I love the character Shaw. I like Root, too–yes, she’s annoying at times, but I kind of think that’s the point. What I don’t like is when a show refuses to change and evolve, causing it to become among the same-story-different-week kind of show. I’ll stick around for next season.

4. Saltmarsh gal on May 14, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Glad it has been renewed. Love the twists and turns as well as the conversation with larger privacy issues in the US.  I’ll definitely be tuning in next season.

5. JohnsonHarry on May 14, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Like many of the comments I have read I wondered after the season finale, what now?  I agree with the “Root can really be annoying”.  I think that’s what her character is supposed to be.  I do think if they stray too far from the original premise the show will not see a season 5.  The first 2 seasons, I was hooked.  Loved all the characters and was hoping Zoey would be in season 3 more often.  With what seemed to be the demise of “the machine” I can’t imagine the story lines unless Root is still going to get the numbers.  If they do “battle” with the new “machine” done properly it could be great.  Emphasis on could.  I’ve always enjoyed hacker movies since I used to be a system analyst.  Here’s hoping it’s done right!

6. GMACK on May 14, 2014 at 11:21 pm

I am also glad it’s been renewed! However I disagree with changing the original purpose of the show. I’ve still hoped that somehow the producers would find a way to bring Detective Carter back into play. Shaw is awesome in her role!!! & I’ve actually come to see “Root” as part of the team. I have to be honest though if the show gets to much farther from the original purpose, I will no longer be interested in the story. A battle of the machines could be interesting but I agree it has to been done correctly.

7. pjm1000 on May 21, 2014 at 2:03 pm

bring carter back, put her in his dream.

8. brew on June 9, 2014 at 8:32 pm

See i bet when the show started, everyone wanted to know more about the machine, its history, how it “behaves,” Finch’s history, Reese’s history, etc. sure the “number of the week” was their initial premise, but the lowest rated episodes in season 3 were the procedural, serialized, number-of-the-week-only episodes. the story-line/universe/premise the writers created with person of interest and the investigation of A.I. was always the subtle back-drop, and really deserves the foreground, and should’ve from the start. i think you just fail to see how this was their initial direction, and its very obvious that it was from the start, and that everything they’ve told and put on screen from day zero has been building to this. i fail to see how your inability to recognize literary genius is an argument against it.

9. Layla on June 24, 2014 at 5:15 am

I’m so done with this show. Season 4 will happen without me. TPH fired for this horrible Shahi, then you have Root really??? I think Nolan and Plageman lost their minds and i predict that the ratings will continue to drop. I can’t believe how two arrogant showrunners ruined their show in such less time!!

Goodbye POI…

10. Layla on June 28, 2014 at 6:26 am

I just wish they would bring back Joss Carter, because without her character the show has become really uninteresting. Something is missing. And that so badly that it hurts.

Just look at the Shaw character. I really despise that character and skip forward through every scene with her (something like that never happened to me before, so it must mean something).

Jim Caviezel also acts like he doesn’t wanna stay on the show either.

What a big mess it all has become.

Sadly Season 4 will take place without me, because i cannont endure what my once favorite show has become now. Season 3 was sooooo mega disappointing.

How can Nolan make so many stupid decisions without getting fired?

He still thinks he is a genius, but all i see is a show that tanks….look at the demo ratings…under 2.0…once there were around 14,00 million people watching now they only reach 10,40….

The show is dying and it’s all his fault…..